[FFmpeg-user] Trying to cut 5 sec of beginning and ending of mp4 files Success!

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Jan 20 21:50:53 CET 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:59:02 -0500, Jim Shupert wrote:
> and there is this ..... this list is very linux Centric ( i *think that
> is fair to say...)

Actually, the actual command line usage of ffmpeg discussed here is very
platform-neutral. Even platform-specifics are evenly split - e.g. I see
the same amount of questions regarding v4l or alsa (Linux) input devices
as for avfoundation (Mac) or dshow (Windows).

But for controlling a command line program from the shell: You're at a
total loss with Windows, unless you learn and use PowerShell (or
Cygwin, but that's basically Unix). Loops? Switch/case statements?
grep? cut? Regular expressions? How do you do that using Windows? Not
as easily. Windows is just the wrong tool to use with ffmpeg, not the
other way around. ;-)

> so much wisdom is also "linux Centric"

That is true. :-)

Moritz