[FFmpeg-user] How to see what mediainfo sees prores.mov

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:38:38 CET 2016

Andy Furniss wrote:
> Moritz Barsnick wrote:

>> https://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#Interlaced-video-looks-very-bad-when-encoded-with-ffmpeg_002c-what-is-wrong_003f

>>> Scan type                                : Interlaced
>>> Original scan type                       : Progressive
>>> Scan type, store method                  : Interleaved fields
>>> Scan order                               : Top Field First
>>
>> We don't know what mediainfo is looking at here. I may be wrong and
>> mediainfo right. ;-)
>
> I think you are right and will test later, but I still think I should
> know how to get
> ffmpeg/ffprobe to show such fundamental info.

So testing more with prores_ks I can get proper interlaced encoding.

There is still variation depending on how I do it that I can only see
with mediainfo.

Following the link above -

ffmpeg -f image2 -pattern_type glob -framerate 25 -i '02*.sgi' -flags
+ilme+ildct -top 1 -c:v prores_ks  -profile:v hq top.mov

I get a different (according to mediainfo) file from doing -

ffmpeg -f image2 -pattern_type glob -framerate 25 -i '02*.sgi' -vf
setfield=tff -flags +ilme+ildct  -c:v prores_ks  -profile:v hq set.mov

It seems the second version is "more correct" - this may be irrelevant
as the frames are flagged the same, but it seems the container isn't
and the only way I know to see that is with mediainfo.

Just to bug me there's another anomaly in that I asked for hq and got
444 (not 4444) - fair enough I didn't specify pix_fmt, but I thought hq
was 422 and so does mediainfo.

mediainfo top.mov
General
Complete name                            : top.mov
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : QuickTime
Codec ID                                 : qt   0000.02 (qt  )
File size                                : 9.06 MiB
Duration                                 : 400ms
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 190 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date                              : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00
Writing application                      : Lavf56.40.101

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : ProRes
Format version                           : Version 0
Format profile                           : 422 HQ
Codec ID                                 : apch
Duration                                 : 400ms
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 190 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:4:4
Scan type                                : Progressive
Original scan type                       : Interlaced
Original scan order                      : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 3.663
Stream size                              : 9.06 MiB (100%)
Writing library                          : Lavc
Language                                 : English
Encoded date                             : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date                              : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00

mediainfo set.mov
General
Complete name                            : set.mov