[FFmpeg-user] [Fedora] Installing from source

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Feb 16 11:16:17 CET 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 13:30:10 +1100, matt clark wrote:
> Anyway  I was getting a "freetype2 not found" error on compiling before
> this.  I had freetype-devel installed but there was an additional missing
> dependancy:
>
>     yum install bzip2-devel

That's interesting, because Fedora's freetype-devel shouldn't require
bzip2-devel. The pkg-config file says:

Requires:
Requires.private: zlib, libpng
Libs: -L${libdir} -lfreetype
Libs.private: -lbz2
Cflags: -I${includedir}

And pkg-config confirms:
$ pkg-config --libs freetype2
-lfreetype

So ffmpeg's configure is adding "-lbz2"?

> I also did the following (as root) - not sure if it was needed though as I
> did it before installing the bzip2-devel package.  Source -
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2014-July/022603.html
>
>    ln -sf /usr/include/freetype2 /usr/include/freetype2/freetype

That's something the packaging and pkg-config should take care of.
$ pkg-config --cflags freetype2
-I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16
But I don't recall the quoted issue or dare take sides.

Moritz