[FFmpeg-user] cutting and splicing

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 10:38:59 CET 2015

On date Thursday 2015-01-15 01:11:00 -0800, Green Koopa wrote:
> In short order I got ffmpeg to read a video, apply a few filters (crop,
> color adjustments, sharpness, volume), and output a new file. The extensive
> documentation is a blessing to this new user.
>
> After applying the filters, I would like to edit the video to shorten it.
> Specifically, I would like to take two non-overlapping segments from the
> middle of the video and concatenate them, ideally with a fade or other
> transition.
>

> I see -ss, -t, and -to for cutting an input file and the Concat demuxer for
> merging files. Would this method necessitate writing my filtered file out?
> I don't see how it could allow for a transition effect.

I suggest to use a separate ffmpeg command to cut each segment (with
-ss/-t/-to) and use fade/afade start time and duration options. Then
use the concat muxer to concatenate the segments together.

Note that at the moment it is not possible to select multiple segments
with a single ffmpeg command (e.g. by specifying several seek
commands), and [a]select requires the transcoding of the whole file.