[FFmpeg-user] Unexpected FFmpeg and avconv Result Difference

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Aug 10 19:56:31 CEST 2015

Quinn Wood <mtcjayne <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 10, 2015 02:40, "Carl Eugen Hoyos" wrote:
> > > or more accurately what "problem" FFmpeg
> > > is allowing to happen that avconv is not
> >
> > I don't know if you have found an issue with
> > FFmpeg or with avconv, hard to say without
> > the Input sample.
>
> To be clear that wasn't intended to be an
> inflammatory remark. I didn't realize it
> sounded like one until I read it over again.

It did not sound inflammatory to me!
(It still doesn't.)

>From all I know, avconv could be correct not
to remux the sample (to avoid producing an
invalid output file) while FFmpeg outputs a
file that you didn't want (or not expect).

As said elsewhere, it is of course also
possible that there was an issue with avconv
that was recently fixed: You will have to
test to find out or share the sample.