[FFmpeg-user] Reversed order of video audio after audio merging (0:0 audio, 0:1 video)

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Wed May 28 17:02:10 CEST 2014

On May 27, 2014, at 7:34 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Christoph Gerstbauer <christophgerstbauer <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ffmpeg -i "I:\IMX_8ch_mono.mxf" -f avi -codec:v ffvhuff
>> -strict experimental -codec:a pcm_s24le
>> -vf "setdar=16/9,setfield=tff" -filter_complex "amerge=inputs=8"
>> -map 0:v -map 0:a "I:\IMX_8ch_mono.avi"
>>
>> Purpose:
>> I am developing video longterm-archive workflows with
>> ffvhuff and ffv1.
>
> It should be added that FFmpeg's avi muxer has a few
> known bugs, I suggest nut (or mkv depending on the
> codec) for archive purposes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC nut and mkv have no standard means to store field dominance. Thus for encoded video in codecs that do not store field dominance and is not progressive nut and mkv aren't good options as the video would decode incorrectly as progressive. FFv1 version 3 is capable of storing its own field dominance metadata so could be used in mkv or nut but storing ffv1 version 1 or ffvhuff in mkv or nut would lose field dominance data. In these cases I've been using the mov container since ffmpeg will write a fiel atom there to note the field dominance.
Dave Rice