[FFmpeg-user] File rotation (like LOG files!)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Feb 13 14:53:35 CET 2014

Podium B.V. <mailinglist <at> podiumbv.nl> writes:

> (nice to know for the ffmpeg community: Teradek,
> miniCaster, Teracue and even the Digital Rapids streamer
> are no match against the quality in low bitrates of
> ffmpeg / x264 encoder on a 'simple' Intel I7 system

To be fair, this has *nothing* to do with FFmpeg, I
think it is known that x264 beats all commercial
products (except the x264-based ones).

The interesting question would be how snow works at
(very) low bitrates...

[...]

> BUT is there (maybe) a way that output A (the stream)
> keeps streaming, while output B (the file / legal-feed)
> starts at midnight in a new file.

What's wrong with MPEG-TS?
(Which you can cut wherever you want loosing one gop.)

And there is of course the segment muxer which probably
does exactly what you want (and looses no gops).