[FFmpeg-user] Legal way to compile FFmpeg with libx264

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Feb 12 23:43:15 CET 2014

Igor <beautyofnorth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I contacted to x264licensing.com and they confirmed
> that I can use libx264 with FFmpeg if I have the
> commercial license for x264.
>
> But how to compile FFmpeg with libx264 to keep FFmpeg
> under LGPL?

You have to patch your local FFmpeg checkout accordingly.
(From our point of view, x264 is GPL, so we require you
to enable GPL if you compile with x264 support. If you
know that the x264 library you link FFmpeg against is
not GPL, you have to change FFmpeg locally. Make sure not
to link against any GPL code, it is not compatible with
your version of x264.)