[FFmpeg-user] a -vf for broadcast safe

Rens Dijkshoorn rens at onlinemedia.nl
Tue Feb 11 22:59:30 CET 2014

Rio Kierkels <riokierkels <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Jim Shupert <jshupert <at> pps-inc.com> writes:
> >
> > > I was wondering if there is a means to ensure
> > > that a file is transcoded as 'broadcast safe'

> Broadcast safe means that the Y' luma levels are
> within the ranges defined by the broadcasters.

Does this mean arbitrary ranges?
Arbitrary ranges are not supported by FFmpeg and I
don't think it would be easy to support them.

Or does this mean either 16-235 or 0-255? Both are
supported by FFmpeg, if it does not work correctly
for you, please provide the problematic command
line together with the complete, uncut console output
(here).

Carl Eugen

Hi

Broadcast safe is not just a single level but a
combination of all 3 component levels. There is
an excellent paper by Tektronix on Gamut error
when converting between RGB YPbPr and Composite
Color spaces.

Broadcastsafe means useally that the matrix conversion
is transparent between all 3 colorspaces and no data
clipping occurs.

For more reading

http://www.fourcc.org/fccyvrgb.php
http://www1.tek.com/Measurement/programs/asiapacific/video/webinar/course/114447/compliance_testing_made_easy.pdf