[FFmpeg-user] a -vf for broadcast safe

Jim Shupert jshupert at pps-inc.com
Tue Feb 11 22:40:15 CET 2014

On 2/11/2014 2:08 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Jim Shupert <jshupert <at> pps-inc.com> writes:
>
>> I was wondering if there is a means to ensure
>> that a file is transcoded as 'broadcast safe'
> Please define what "broadcast safe" means.

I realize this is wish list territory ........
by broadcast safe i mean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast-safe

and the functionality I wish to be able to replicate via something like
"-vf bradcast_safe"  what i ( humbely ) imagine is a 2 pass effort that
'takes a look' at the file submitted
and then adjusts to " broadcast safe - maybe in a heavy handed way

I wish for  the functionality that one can get from dropping the FCP
broadcast safe filter on a clip.
http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=78%26section=6%26tasks=true

<snip> from that page
Using the Broadcast Safe FilterThe Broadcast Safe filter provides a
quick way to reduce luma and chroma levels that exceed the broadcast
limits for NTSC, PAL, and HD video.
</snip>

and 'zingo' the video is ' color corrected' bringing it into broadcast safe

If all this seems pie in the sky -- forgive me.
I am but a humble video artist trying to make my way in the world.
Yall are the smart ones!

thank you for your time & attention.

best regards

jim S