[FFmpeg-user] Audio Packets, Video Packets, md5 output

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sat Jul 27 20:33:14 CEST 2013

Le nonidi 9 thermidor, an CCXXI, James Board a écrit :
> The video checksums makes sense (to me): there is one for each frame in
> (the AVI file stores each frame in full, so there's no inter-frame
> compression).

This is not true.

> However, there's about twice as many audio packets as video packets. Why
> is that?

Most audio codecs have a specific frame size (for specified settings): a
number of samples they encode at once. If the input file uses one such
codec, then you get the corresponding frames. Otherwise, you get whatever
frames the tool that produced the AVI decided to make, maybe corresponding
to a sound device buffer size or something.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George