[FFmpeg-user] Problem with Select Filter

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 14:46:30 CEST 2013

I start with a raw AVI file that has been Inverse Telecined and single frames
were compressed with lossless codec ffvhuff.  Then I apply the Select filter
to do some cut edits on the video.  An example command is this:

    ffmpeg -i IN.avi select='-between(n\, 10\, 10000)',setpts=N/FRAME_RATE/TB
        -c:v ffvhuff -af aselect='-between(n\, 10\, 10000)',asetpts=N/SR/TB
        -c:a wmav2 OUT.avi

Then I later mpeg4 encode it with mencoder (for Carl, I will use ffmpeg
instead of mencoder once I figure out how to do that without error).  Then I
play the file.  The problem is when I seek forward 10 seconds, or a minute,
there's often a 2 or 3 second delay once I get to the seek frame.  The video
freezes for 2 or 3 seconds.

This problem doesn't happen if I omit the above ffmpeg step (where I do Cut
Edits with the Select filter).  So, something isn't right with the way I'm
using ffmpeg to do cut edits, or with the ffmpeg select filter, or whatever.
Can anyone see anything wrong with the above ffmpeg command?  Maybe
the setpts or asetpts stuff, which I don't understand?  Does anyone know
how to figure this problem out?

Thank you.