[FFmpeg-user] rc_buffer_underrun stupid newbie issues

Jon Wells jon at bigbang.com.au
Thu May 10 18:35:06 CEST 2012

I've got a bunch of video captured from analog sources, it includes
regions of pure noise.

How do I stop the underun errors during these times.

If I don't set  a maxrate then the resulting file exceeds the allowable
peak rate during the noise patches.

If I do set a maxrate & legit bufsize it under-runs.

Either way modest DVD players seem to spit the dummy... well mine at
least.

I need to allow it to do a crap job of the crap input but I don't seem
to be able to find the appropriate incantations.

This is
  ffmpeg version 0.8.10, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers

Running something like...

ffmpeg -i  blarg.mov -an -vf gradfun,hqdn3d -r 25 -lmin 1 -b 6000k
-maxrate 9000k -bufsize 1835k -y -packetsize 2048 -f mpeg2video
poop.mpeg

cheers,
  jon.