[FFmpeg-user] Technical specification for FFv1?

Tim Nicholson nichot20 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 12:36:58 CET 2012

On 08/03/12 09:51, Peter B. wrote:
> Zitat von Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:
>
>> That said, FFmpeg is open source and free software, theres no risk
>> of being locked into a format that cant be converted all of a sudden
>> everyone has the code to decode it ...
>
> ...and that's exactly one of my top-5 arguments *why* I'm supporting and
> promoting Free Software and Open Formats within the archive domain! :)
>
> However, I'm *not* afraid of you dropping support of FFv1, or that I'm not able
> to keep the code alive to open the videos. It's something else:
>
> It's generally about 2 things:
>
> a) In order to use FFv1 among video "professionals", there needs to be more than
> sustainable code that "just works".

I have never tried FFv1, in the past I have used Huffman YUV, for lossless.
However I am always open to new ideas.

Having not tried FFV1, because I new nothing about it,I am interested to know
what wrapper/format you use around the codec, and therefore what other metadata
can be kept. (comments, timecode etc)

--
Tim