[FFmpeg-user] Technical specification for FFv1?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Thu Mar 8 10:51:20 CET 2012

Zitat von Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:

> That said, FFmpeg is open source and free software, theres no risk
> of being locked into a format that cant be converted all of a sudden
> everyone has the code to decode it ...

...and that's exactly one of my top-5 arguments *why* I'm supporting
and promoting Free Software and Open Formats within the archive
domain! :)

However, I'm *not* afraid of you dropping support of FFv1, or that I'm
not able to keep the code alive to open the videos. It's something else:

It's generally about 2 things:

a) In order to use FFv1 among video "professionals", there needs to be
more than sustainable code that "just works".

b) What about possible changes of FFv1's bitstream (for any reason),
which cause incompatibilities.

Stuff like that.
If there'd be any kind of tech-specs to refer to, it would make it
easier to propose FFv1's usage.

Thanks,
Pb