[FFmpeg-user] Compiling ffmpeg for 64-bit platform

Tarun singhal tsinghal18 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 19:13:12 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Michael Bradshaw <
mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Tarun singhal <tsinghal18 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > And Rohdri it will be really great if you don't insert your comments on
> my
> > English in this chain.
>
> He wasn't bashing you. He was trying to help you. You'll never learn
> if you're never corrected, and it's important to be corrected so you
> can meaningfully convey your message. Otherwise, it's easy to be
> misunderstood.
>
> > -> I am having CentOS. Again this was an FYI. Underlying OS is not a
> > problem. Just let me hear out your experiences with cross-compiling
> 64-bit
> > ffmpeg on any [OS].
> >
> > -> I understand that if you dont know about centOS, you cant answer this
> > question, but I hope you know atleast one of other UNIX/LINUX flavours,
> If
> > you can, please answer taking them as underlying OS.
>
> The underlying OS is significant because certain tools are available
> on certain OSs.
>
> > -> "I want to" - I dont understand why you even going so deep in my
> > English, rather going into my actual question. I asked a simple question,
> > "I want to cross compile 64-bit".
>
> Because you use English to ask your question. If the English is
> misused slightly, it's easy for others to misunderstand your question.
>
> > What does it has to do with whether i
> > have other options or not.
>
> Because you can explore your other options if they're easier.
>
> You can try ./configure --cc="gcc -m64" to get 64-bit binaries... I've
> never had to create Windows binaries on a Linux machine though, so I'm
> no help there. The guy over at zeranoe (http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/)
> builds ffmpeg for windows machines on Ubuntu, so maybe you can ask him
> if you want some pointers from him.

Yeah I know he wasnt bashing me..thats why I thanked him too at the same
time :). No hard feeling from my side.
The point is if I go with other options, like using an already built
version, I would be acting like a user, but my objective is to explore
ffmpeg more and more from lowest possible level to highest possible level.
and come back and share with this community. and I think we all are on same
page about that.

Moreover: If people keep correcting my english here. My real problem will
go in back burner thats why i mentioned not to correct my english here. It
will be of no use. As I already know what mistakes i have made, Its just in
hurry i put wrong words which I guess I will learn with experience.

Anyways Thanks for sharing your experience here.