[FFmpeg-user] Compiling ffmpeg for 64-bit platform

Michael Bradshaw mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com
Wed Jun 6 19:03:41 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Tarun singhal <tsinghal18 at gmail.com> wrote:
> And Rohdri it will be really great if you don't insert your comments on my
> English in this chain.

He wasn't bashing you. He was trying to help you. You'll never learn
if you're never corrected, and it's important to be corrected so you
can meaningfully convey your message. Otherwise, it's easy to be
misunderstood.

> -> I am having CentOS. Again this was an FYI. Underlying OS is not a
> problem. Just let me hear out your experiences with cross-compiling 64-bit
> ffmpeg on any [OS].
>
> -> I understand that if you dont know about centOS, you cant answer this
> question, but I hope you know atleast one of other UNIX/LINUX flavours, If
> you can, please answer taking them as underlying OS.

The underlying OS is significant because certain tools are available
on certain OSs.

> -> "I want to" - I dont understand why you even going so deep in my
> English, rather going into my actual question. I asked a simple question,
> "I want to cross compile 64-bit".

Because you use English to ask your question. If the English is
misused slightly, it's easy for others to misunderstand your question.

> What does it has to do with whether i
> have other options or not.

Because you can explore your other options if they're easier.

You can try ./configure --cc="gcc -m64" to get 64-bit binaries... I've
never had to create Windows binaries on a Linux machine though, so I'm
no help there. The guy over at zeranoe (http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/)
builds ffmpeg for windows machines on Ubuntu, so maybe you can ask him
if you want some pointers from him.