[FFmpeg-user] Encoding x264 hangs in a high turn over pipeline

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:25:41 CEST 2012

> I tested this using internal mp4, as well as libvpx. In both cases the
> pipeline completed without a glitch on a sample of 1400 videos.

This sounds vaguely familiar...f it fails with libx264 but works well
with the others, you may be running up against a threading issue we're
trying to resolve in the zeranoe builds.
Could you try with this build and see if it works?
http://x32.elijst.nl/FFmpeg-20120622.7z

>> Also gdb backtraces of stuck threads?
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I won't be able to get it in Windows, will I?

Believe it or not the mingw people have ported gdb to windows, and it
works quite well.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/External%20binary%20packages%20(Win64%20hosted)/gdb/
It can even attach to remote processes.
You'll want to be running a debug version of ffmpeg, though even a non
debug version of it might show some interesting material.

basically start gdb, then
(gdb) attach <pidd>
(gdb) thread apply all bt
GL!