[FFmpeg-user] Zeranoe Windows builds spiking CPU to 100% randomly

Kyle Schwarz kshawkeye at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 07:23:10 CEST 2012

On 7/16/2012 7:53 PM, Roger Pack wrote:
>> I finally got the hang to appear and that was after completely updating the
>> toolchain+x264+ffmpeg to the latest. This is in fact a issue with the latest
>> of everything.
>>
>> I bet the MinGW-w64 guys would know more about this issue. If someone could
>> send over the information to their mailing list that would really help. I
>> will if no one else can, but it might take a while.
>
> Ok I believe I was able to capture some stack traces during the hang
> (thanks to Andy Sheen's build):
>
> https://gist.github.com/3125847
>
> I presume it was built using this script to get the cross compiler:
> http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/blog/?p=96
>
> I guess I should just forward on all this information to mingw-w64 then?

Yes, since the script uses MinGW-w64's threading library they should
have a good idea what might be going on. They also are very helpful and
can possible offer a quick fix.

Are we sure the issue is not on FFmpegs end? Has anyone had a chance to
test an identical version build on Linux? Maybe a FFmpeg bug report is
in order?

> Also am I correct in presuming that there are basically 2 "mingw"
> pthreads libraries out there--this:
> https://mingw-w64.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mingw-w64/experimental/winpthreads
> and also this:
> http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32/index.html (which is apparently
> compatible with 64-bit builds
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX_Threads#POSIX_Threads_for_Windows)
>
> If so then maybe using one instead of the other would work-around the
> problem? (it wouldn't fix the bug, of course, but just wondering).

I would like to stick with MinGW-w64s thread library if we can. Like I
said they may be able to offer a fix.

I'm available to compile any custom FFmpeg build with debug symbols if
that is whats needed. I can configure both FFmpeg and x264 whatever way
is needed. Just let me know.

Best regards,
   Kyle Schwarz