[FFmpeg-user] Speed differences, was: The Magic Microsecond

Jan Ehrhardt phpdev at ehrhardt.nl
Sun Jul 8 20:18:33 CEST 2012

Andy Sheen in gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user (Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:59:00
+0100):
>I am seeing a problem in zeranoes latest build (same as your test in
>fact) where the CPU jumps to 100% and ffmpeg freezes (frame number
>stops, time position freezes) randomly. The freeze lasts 5+seconds, the
>counter stops and then all of a sudden starts incrementing again. This
>can happen 0 to multiple times during the encode and I have seen
>variations of over 25% in encode times for exactly the same encode
>(machine idle apart from the encode process).

I do not see the spikes happen here, but saw them definitely:
https://sessiondatabase.net/jwplayer/double5.gif
The blue text at the bottom shows the encoder.

Source: Canon HF M306 50i PAFF interlaced file, encoded twice. One of my
most troublesome files...

https://sessiondatabase.net/jwplayer shows an encoded version (with wide
angle lens and all).

More reason to get the master sources and compile them. I will report
back later.

Jan