[FFmpeg-user] Speed differences, was: The Magic Microsecond

Andy Sheen sheen.andy at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 8 19:59:00 CEST 2012

Jan Ehrhardt wrote on Sun 08 Jul at 15:29 UK time
> Jan Ehrhardt in ffmpeg.user (Sat, 07 Jul 2012 22:54:47 +0200):
>> 3. Any explanation why the newest FFmpeg is slower than the
>>   r32754?
>
> Talking to myself: I compiled the FFmpeg that came with MPlayer-1.1
> and Zeranoe's 20120706 on Win7pro with the same configure options.
>
> The speed differences are huge.

I am seeing a problem in zeranoes latest build (same as your test in
fact) where the CPU jumps to 100% and ffmpeg freezes (frame number
stops, time position freezes) randomly. The freeze lasts 5+seconds, the
counter stops and then all of a sudden starts incrementing again. This
can happen 0 to multiple times during the encode and I have seen
variations of over 25% in encode times for exactly the same encode
(machine idle apart from the encode process).

An older ffmpeg (in fact from September last year) is fine.

I've also seen a report of exactly the same thing in zeranoes forums.
I've joined and posted there too, but it appears my post is awaiting
moderation.

Andy