[FFmpeg-user] Problem with setting x264 profile/ x264opts

Tim Nicholson tim.nicholson at bbc.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 17:00:14 CET 2012

On 23/01/12 15:33, Maurice Randall wrote:

> I know that with FFMPEG 8.6 that I am using, the following works:
>
> -vcodec libx264 -profile high -preset fast -x264opts bitrate=300
>
> In other words, you don't have to put the profile within the x264opts. Not sure if this still works that way with .9 and up. I tried .9 with my applications, but have stuck with .8 until .9 gets more stabilized. Also too many changes to make the switch right away.

Whilst you don't have to. I would expect to be able to based upon the
docs saying:-

"‘x264opts options’

     Allow to set any x264 option, see x264 –fullhelp for a list. "

Since "profile" is an option listed by "x264 –fullhelp" I see no reason
why it should not work.

I understood the direct approach of -profile was retained for backwards
API compatibility, but as we have already discussed, that too has
changed to vprofile.....

--
Tim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/