[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG CBR

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Jan 18 11:19:17 CET 2012

venuiyer <venuiyer <at> yahoo.com> writes:

>  1. Tried using the minrate=maxrate=buffer size. When i play the video I am
> getting a variable bit rate, This information was seen through the
> statistics in the VLC media player.

Short answer: I suspect you don't know what "CBR" means for video streams (and
real-use) encoders.

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you the long answer, but for "real" encoders
like mpeg1video, mpeg4 and x264 (as opposed to v210 or yuv4 that basically store
uncompressed data), not every frame has the same size, therefore cbr never means
"constant frame size".