[FFmpeg-user] cutting MXF with caption data with FFmpeg

Dave Rice daverice at mac.com
Fri Jan 13 21:03:40 CET 2012

Hi,

I work with MXF files from XDCam discs on a regular basis. Here's a sample:
http://www.archive.org/download/xdcam_sample_with_caption_track/C0001.MXF

These files contain mpeg2 video, 8 tracks of audio and a SMPTE 436m track with caption data. ffmpeg -i output here: http://pastebin.com/65tDrbEQ

I need to cut these files from pre-determined in points to a pre-determined duration and copy all tracks into a new MXF container (with shorter duration). In ffmpeg I can copy the tracks from the input MXF to an output MXF only if I prevent the caption data track from copying, but because these files are being used in a broadcast environment I need to keep the caption data as well. I set up a wishful ticket for support for copying 436m data tracks here http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/726, but am curious if there is any workflow preferably open source tools to copy 436m data tracks from one MXF file to another. I've been able to use mxfdump to get the 436m but haven't had any luck with getting it back into an MXF. Any suggestions?

Best Regards,
Dave Rice