[FFmpeg-user] getting some xml-ish dump while ffprobing a media file's metadata?

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 00:03:04 CET 2012

On 1/1/12, Stefano Sabatini <stefasab at gmail.com> wrote:
> On date Saturday 2011-12-31 19:59:04 +0000, Mark Himsley encoded:
>> On 31/12/11 19:53, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>> >  Stefano, last two things (I hope ;-))
>> >~
>
>> >  1) mixing plain and xml-structured text is not that "useful". If user
>> >wants xml output, this is what she/he wants
>>
>> I don't think it's mixed.
>> XML output is on stdout and "text" output is on stderr.
>> Try your command again, but redirect the output to a file
>
> -version, -license etc. are shared between all the ff* tools, so its
> output in ffprobe can't/shouldn't be changed.
>
> What we can do is to implement a -show_version option, I'll possibly
> send a patch to ffmpeg-devel, but I need to know which information
> you (and a generic user) may need to show/parse.
~
 OK, this is what I had in mind: As part of my push to include
metadata media file parsing in tika
~
 http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.tika.user
~
 : parsers implementations for media files (mpeg, flv, webm)
~
 the primary option would be using ffmpeg/ffprobe as underlying library.
~
 In would be useful to have the build metadata just once when the main
object is constructed in addition to
(java.lang.)System.getProperty("os.name"). This way if an exception is
thown we can include the build and the OS in order to make
debugging/troubleshooting easier
~
 lbrtchx