[FFmpeg-user] getting some xml-ish dump while ffprobing a media file's metadata?

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 16:28:21 CET 2012

On date Saturday 2011-12-31 19:59:04 +0000, Mark Himsley encoded:
> On 31/12/11 19:53, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> >  Stefano, last two things (I hope ;-))
> >~

> >  1) mixing plain and xml-structured text is not that "useful". If user
> >wants xml output, this is what she/he wants
>
> I don't think it's mixed.
> XML output is on stdout and "text" output is on stderr.
> Try your command again, but redirect the output to a file

-version, -license etc. are shared between all the ff* tools, so its
output in ffprobe can't/shouldn't be changed.

What we can do is to implement a -show_version option, I'll possibly
send a patch to ffmpeg-devel, but I need to know which information
you (and a generic user) may need to show/parse.

--
ffmpeg-user random tip #19
X11 session recording with ffmpeg: