[FFmpeg-user] dv => mp4: deinterlace or not, and how?

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sun May 8 11:17:24 CEST 2011

> Interlaced displays are reaching their last days

I haven't been following the thread closely, but be aware: this is not so.

Much as everyone from camera crews to software engineers would like things
to be otherwise, interlaced material is going nowhere fast. It's often
required by broadcasters, and the entire broadcast chain is still
interlaced in almost all cases.

Once again - this is not about what we would -like- to be true. We would
like there never to have been a fractional-framerate NTSC and we would
like there to be no interlacing. Unfortunately, out her in reality-world,
there are stupid fractional framerates and there is drop-frame timecode
and there is interlacing and we just have to deal with it. Video-related
software that omits interlacing is simply incomplete.