[FFmpeg-user] atom position in mp4 at encoding time ?

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Thu Dec 15 21:09:46 CET 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:58:05 +0100
Boštjan Strojan <bostjan.strojan at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I just happen to notice that my ffmpeg h264.mp4 encodes need to
> completely download before the playback is possible (progressive
> playback via flash player). Is there a solution inside ffmpeg? a
> special switch?
>
> thanks

You can use qt-faststart. It's part of FFmpeg, but if you don't have it
then compiling it is easy if you have the FFmpeg source:

cd ffmpeg/tools
make qt-faststart

Usage:
qt-faststart input.mp4 output.mp4

Alternatively, you could use MP4Box. Probably something like:
MP4Box -add input.mp4 output.mp4

Ah, now I see Reindl already replied because I'm a slow typer, but I'll
send anyway.