[FFmpeg-soc] libavfilter - filter for .ass subtitle rendering using libass

Aurelien Jacobs aurel at gnuage.org
Tue Feb 24 22:16:56 CET 2009

Alexey Lebedeff wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:54:08 +0300, Alexey Lebedeff wrote:
>
>  AL> If there is any interest in it, I'll do some cleanup to code,
>  AL> properly integrate it into build process, and share the results.
>
> Here is the very primitive patch to libavfilter Makefile, and source
> of filter itself. No proper build process integration yet.
>
> [...]
>
> /*
>  * Usage: '-vfilters ass=filename:somefile.ass|margin:50|encoding:utf-8'
>  * Only 'filename' param is mandatory.
>  */

This is indeed primitive.
A clean filter shouldn't take a full media file as parameter.
It should instead just receive some AVSubtitleRect in its input pine,
just the same as other filters are receiving some AVFrame.
Well, we first need an ASS "decoder" which would simply takes the ASS
events from AVPacket and put them into AVSubtitleRect, but that should
be quite easy to implement.

Aurel