[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Ondřej Fiala ofiala at airmail.cc
Tue Apr 30 21:48:57 EEST 2024

On Tue Apr 30, 2024 at 2:11 AM CEST, Hendrik Leppkes wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 6:44 PM Ondřej Fiala <ofiala at airmail.cc> wrote:
> >
> > I would really suggest you look at SourceHut.
>
> While SourceHut might be a slight improvement over the current
> situation (and only slight), it being fundamentally still based on
> email makes it inherit a lot of limitations and problems, and the
> functionality of the web interface is severely lacking, as key
> functions like commenting on patches are relegated back to your email
> client.
I think that's sort of the point, that you don't need a modern web
browser to do code review. The web interface is meant to supplement
email in the process, not replace it.

> Patch display functionality isn't any better then a mail client with a
> bit of syntax highlighting, nevermind bespoke review tools that are
> entirely absent, as it just sends you to your email client to respond.
Personally I don't see much added value in GitHub's pull request model
compared to inline comments on patches in an email thread, but I suppose
that's probably not what you're comparing SourceHut against here. Perhaps
you could list the "bespoke review tools" whose features you're missing
explicitly?

> At least thats what I see when checking the SourceHut instance of
> SourceHut itself.
>
> As far as solutions go, this isn't one that I would imagine, I'm
> afraid. It's essentially a mailing list with patchwork. We have that
> now.
I read someone complain that it's difficult to see which patches were
accepted with patchwork. I didn't verify whether that's true, but it's
certainly not an issue when using SourceHut.