[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Apr 27 13:53:59 EEST 2024

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 12:26:00PM +0200, Tomas Härdin wrote:
> tor 2024-04-25 klockan 02:07 +0200 skrev Michael Niedermayer:

> > > You mean inventing a new chat protocol? If so then please don't. We
> >
> > If theres an existing protocol that serves the purpose then theres no
> > need to invent a new one
> >
> > I think at a minimum it should have "secure and private by default
> > and always"
> > (there are many solutions already when one is willing to give up
> > security/privacy)
>
> "Security" and "privacy" are relative terms.

yes, more security and privacy is better

> If you want end-to-end encryption in a federated system then XMPP+OMEMO
> is the way to go. Or Matrix I guess, but it isn't standardized last
> time I checked.
>
> If you want metadata resistance then Briar is the way to go. It's a
> peer-to-peer store-and-forward network that tunnels all its internet
> traffic through Tor, and also supports synchronizing messages over WiFi
> Direct and Bluetooth.
>
> There's also GNUnet and its associated protocols like psyc.
>
> Short of using some complicated thing involving data diodes you're not
> likely to do better than what's already out there. And nothing beats
> not using computers at all.

sure, i agree, we should use existing protocols whenever one exists
for a purpose already ...

libavformat supports, RTP, RTSP, MMS, HLS, RTMP and probably more
we support audio, video, data and text packets/streams

So adding support for some more secure/private protocols is
within the scope of libavformat.

And it would allow all multimedia players to use these more secure
means of communicating. As well as writing dedicated secure chat applications on
top of libavformat.
This would bring in more users and developers

thx

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates