[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Tomas Härdin git at haerdin.se
Thu Apr 25 13:26:00 EEST 2024

tor 2024-04-25 klockan 02:07 +0200 skrev Michael Niedermayer:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 12:50:02AM +0200, Tomas Härdin wrote:
> > ons 2024-04-17 klockan 15:58 +0200 skrev Michael Niedermayer:
> >
> > > * ffchat
> > >     (expand into realtime chat / zoom) this would
> > >     bring in more users and developers, and we basically have
> > > almost
> > >     all parts for it already but some people where against it
> >
> > You mean inventing a new chat protocol? If so then please don't. We
>
> If theres an existing protocol that serves the purpose then theres no
> need to invent a new one
>
> I think at a minimum it should have "secure and private by default
> and always"
> (there are many solutions already when one is willing to give up
> security/privacy)

"Security" and "privacy" are relative terms.

If you want end-to-end encryption in a federated system then XMPP+OMEMO
is the way to go. Or Matrix I guess, but it isn't standardized last
time I checked.

If you want metadata resistance then Briar is the way to go. It's a
peer-to-peer store-and-forward network that tunnels all its internet
traffic through Tor, and also supports synchronizing messages over WiFi
Direct and Bluetooth.

There's also GNUnet and its associated protocols like psyc.

Short of using some complicated thing involving data diodes you're not
likely to do better than what's already out there. And nothing beats
not using computers at all.

/Tomas