[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg table at NAB

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at mail.de
Thu Apr 18 01:13:20 EEST 2024

Hi,

> Am 16.04.2024 um 16:21 schrieb Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller at ltnglobal.com>:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I wasn't looking to start trouble, but I didn't see any discussion of
> this on the mailing list so wanted to bring it to the developer
> community's attention.
>
> I attended the NAB conference and went by the "ffmpeg" booth on
> Sunday.  What I found was a single table with the official ffmpeg
> banner hanging right next to a banner for the GPAC project, and two
> salespeople from GPAC handing out marketing literature and trying to
> educate me on why I should use their framework for my next project.
>
> I'm not saying that GPAC shouldn't be able to have a table at the
> conference, but it feels pretty misleading to have an "ffmpeg" booth
> listed in the conference materials, with a table prominently
> displaying the ffmpeg logo, with zero people from ffmpeg and people
> pushing users to use an alternative framework that some might actually
> considered to be a competitor to ffmpeg.

so I talked to the GPAC folks and Devin as well. The missing part of the information exchanged was apparently that there‘s nobody from FFmpeg here _at the moment_.

Devin did circle around a bit for a while, never saw FFpeople in that time.
Thing is that in the afternoons, Ramiro and me were out for lunch off-site, for around 90 minutes - plenty of time never to be seen by Devin.

Additionally, not having followed the November announcement and subsequent posts too closely, lead to even more suspicion.

So, Devin, as I told you earlier, thank you very much for your mail - in case that would have actually been some sort of misuse of our name, we’d totally want to
become aware of.

Thanks,
Thilo