[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg table at NAB

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Apr 21 11:47:05 EEST 2024

Hi,

I have been dragged privately into this issue so for the sake of transparency, I will just sum up my side here.

Le 17 avril 2024 07:21:18 GMT+08:00, Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller at ltnglobal.com> a écrit :
>Hello all,
>
>I wasn't looking to start trouble, but I didn't see any discussion of
>this on the mailing list so wanted to bring it to the developer
>community's attention.
>
>I attended the NAB conference and went by the "ffmpeg" booth on
>Sunday.  What I found was a single table with the official ffmpeg
>banner hanging right next to a banner for the GPAC project, and two
>salespeople from GPAC handing out marketing literature and trying to
>educate me on why I should use their framework for my next project.

Thilo did announce that some unidentified party would be payind for FFmpeg to hold a booth (this should be visible in the archives). Kieran raised legitimate if not concerning questions based on his prior experience at NAB. Thilo did not answer, which is inexcusable, especially considering that there were several times that the questions were reiterated.

Thilo privately called Kieran a "troll" as the lame pretext for not answering the question (I can copy the CC privately if proof of this is needed).

In light of this, it seemed obvious that the FFmpeg booth would be a disaster, pretty much how Kieran had predicted.

So there you have it. On the bright side, FFmpeg was not footing the bill.

I think everybody can make their own conclusions without me speculating or opiniating further, so I will leave it at that.

>I'm not saying that GPAC shouldn't be able to have a table at the
>conference, but it feels pretty misleading to have an "ffmpeg" booth
>listed in the conference materials, with a table prominently
>displaying the ffmpeg logo, with zero people from ffmpeg and people
>pushing users to use an alternative framework that some might actually
>considered to be a competitor to ffmpeg.

Agreed. Thanks for your testimony.