[FFmpeg-devel] Mailinglist conduct (was: [EXT] Re: Query from Reuters on XZ, open source, and Microsoft)

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 22:05:28 EEST 2024

Nicolas,

On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 10:41 AM Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> This, sadly, your ilk has the power to enforce.

Some CC members believe it would be helpful for you (and maybe to others)
if we explicitly laid out some ground rules more explicitly, so let us try:
- you are entitled to any opinion or belief you wish to hold. We are no
thought police.
- you are allowed to express non-defamatory versions of these opinions when
it is relevant to the discussion, or in new discussions, on our mailinglist.
- you are explicitly asked to *not* derail ongoing (e.g. technical)
discussions with these opinions where they are not relevant; do not bring
up Libav-vs-FFmpeg history or other us-vs-them conspiracies.

The CC has previously requested that you refrain from such conduct [1].
Therefore, we have decided to remove your mailinglist participation
privilege for 2 weeks.

Yours,
the CC [Ronald, JB & James supporting the decision and Michael dissenting]
(Michael mentioned that he is in favor of pointing out the "negative
interactions" but only for a ban if a further "negative interaction" occurs
after that.)

[1] https://ffmpeg.org//pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2023-December/318316.html