[FFmpeg-devel] Query from Reuters on XZ, open source, and Microsoft

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 12:27:44 EEST 2024

On date Tuesday 2024-04-09 10:36:05 +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
[...]
> I am pointing that for the burden, I am not offering to do the same for
> free for the people who are so short-sighted they feel entitled to block
> software-defined radio, break real-time display devices, prevent me from
> adding the strings API necessary for proper built-in documentation and
> information exfiltration from devices, etc., and apparently can.

The "people" is at the end the TC/CC (Technical/Community Committee),
and we agreed to commit to what these organisms decide to resolve
conflicts for controversial features.

I have interest in the strings API (for which I have several use
cases, from ffprobe to output serialization for filters) so it would
be good to know the status of that, and I couldn't not find the
technical reason of that rejection assuming that was given - there
should be some written record of that somewhere.

But anyway such technical decisions should be not set in stone and it
should be possible to review them at any time.