[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 5.0 LTS vs 5.1 LTS

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 21:14:56 EEST 2022

On 4/23/2022 3:08 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 12:40 PM James Almer <jamrial at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/23/2022 1:36 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Do people prefer that 5.0 becomes LTS or the next (5.1) ?
>>> Or something else ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> 5.0 lacks the new channel layout API, and making that an LTS will give
>> projects less incentive to migrate, so IMO, 5.1 (or a newer one) should
>> be the LTS.
>
> I thought 5.x was the LTS series already. Maybe I misunderstood, but I
> expected that the 5.x series does not break API/ABI, so minor versions
> of the 5.0 major series would be part of the same LTS and supported
> for that timeframe.

No 5.x release will break existing API/ABI, but all can and most likely
will introduce new API. So if you target 5.0, you can use 5.x just fine.

As an example, 5.1 will be the first with a new channel layout API in
lavu, which will of course live alongside the old (now marked as
deprecated) until a major bump takes place in a couple years.