[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 5.0 LTS vs 5.1 LTS

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 21:08:36 EEST 2022

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 12:40 PM James Almer <jamrial at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/23/2022 1:36 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Do people prefer that 5.0 becomes LTS or the next (5.1) ?
> > Or something else ?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> 5.0 lacks the new channel layout API, and making that an LTS will give
> projects less incentive to migrate, so IMO, 5.1 (or a newer one) should
> be the LTS.

I thought 5.x was the LTS series already. Maybe I misunderstood, but I
expected that the 5.x series does not break API/ABI, so minor versions
of the 5.0 major series would be part of the same LTS and supported
for that timeframe.

At least, that was my impression when I started bringing ffmpeg into Fedora...