[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Switching ffmpeg.c to a threaded architecture

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Mon Apr 11 11:28:56 EEST 2022

Quoting Soft Works (2022-04-08 17:27:10)
> > Furthermore, remember that this is just the first step. There will be
> > further patchsets converting the other components. I intend to
> > upstream
> > them gradually one after the other. Your suggestion would require me
> > instead write the whole thing at once, fighting rebase conflicts all
> > the
> > way, and then submit it as a giant utterly unreviewable patchset.
>
> That's not what I meant, but anyway it's not worth discussing when
> it's a minority opinion.
>
> Just a practical question instead for planning purposes:
>
> Which timeframe do you expect for the whole process?
> When do you plan to start

If you mean "start pushing the patches", then I intend to do that as
they are reviewed and approved. I hope to send the upstreamable version
of this set this week, if nobody has strong objectsions then I might
push it after vacation, i.e. late April/early May.

> and for how long do you think it will take until all further patchsets
> will be submitted/applied?

This is very hard to estimate accurately. A pessimistic guess assuming I
get stuck on every stupid thing would be end of this year, but I hope
for things to go much faster.

--
Anton Khirnov