[FFmpeg-devel] Questions about Codec

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Sat May 15 21:24:20 EEST 2021

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:41 AM Nicolas Frattaroli <ffmpeg at fratti.ch>
wrote:

> On 13.05.21 10:16, Renvoi wrote:
> > Dear ffmpeg-devel
> >
> > I want to encode a video or serial number file to the Grassvallay HQ
> codec
> > in AVI format and export it. Is there any way? Please help us.
> >
> > Grass Valley
> > https://pro.grassvalley.jp/catalog/hqcodec/hq_codec.htm
> >

> This is the development list, not the user support list. However, I can
> tell
> you that ffmpeg currently does not support this codec as far as I am aware,
> as you can verify yourself with `ffmpeg -codecs | grep -i grass`. I do
> however
> suspect that it is not a very original codec and may in fact simply be a
> variation of something else, so a sample file would be able to confirm
> this.

Please keep silence if you are not knowledgeable enough about this subject
in general and especially in this special case.

If you inspect fourcc of videos produced by this encoder you will notice it
is already supported from avi/mov container by FFmpeg.

Codec name is just re-branded HQX of Canopus. There are 3 variants and all
3 are supported.

Maybe it is not supported in MXF container, need samples for that case.