[FFmpeg-devel] Questions about Codec

Nicolas Frattaroli ffmpeg at fratti.ch
Thu May 13 12:41:06 EEST 2021

On 13.05.21 10:16, Renvoi wrote:
> Dear ffmpeg-devel
>
> I want to encode a video or serial number file to the Grassvallay HQ  codec
> in AVI format and export it. Is there any way? Please help us.
>
> Grass Valley
> https://pro.grassvalley.jp/catalog/hqcodec/hq_codec.htm

This is the development list, not the user support list. However, I can tell
you that ffmpeg currently does not support this codec as far as I am aware,
as you can verify yourself with `ffmpeg -codecs | grep -i grass`. I do however
suspect that it is not a very original codec and may in fact simply be a
variation of something else, so a sample file would be able to confirm this.

For what it's worth, I suspect that any reasonably modern codec with a good
encoder will outclass this "HQ codec" in efficiency by orders of magnitude.