[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request

Lynne dev at lynne.ee
Tue Mar 23 00:46:47 EET 2021

As discussed during the last developer meeting, I am in need of new hardware to
work on Vulkan filtering, hwcontext, AV1 VAAPI decoding, new assembly and
general development on FFmpeg and projects involving the FFmpeg libraries.

I was requested to post what I'd like on the mailing list for discussion, as well
as to talk about their purchase, since I currently lack the spare funds to buy
everything and then be refunded, which is the standard way we have handled
hardware and expenses in the past.

As we have literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in our SPI fund
(121 716.03 USD as of the end of 2019), I have spared no expense in
my selection. The price listed on each component is the lowest I could
find from all the stores I searched.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HJwhLP <https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/HJwhLP>

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  (€949.00 @ Topchat.com)
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius+ S36 Dynamic X2 PWM 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€145.66 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€574.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: 2x G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) F4-4000C16D-32GTZR DDR4-4000 CL16 Memory  (€470.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€216.38 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB Speedster MERC 319 Ultra Video Card (€1925.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case  (€132.78 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€185.50 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: 3x Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan  (€21.90 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG 27GN950-B 27.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor  (€742.49 @ Amazon)

Total: €6096.66

I could instead go with a Rocket Lake i9-119000K for having AVX512, however, that processorhas yet to be released, and with the global chip shortage, could be unavailable for many months
after launch.