[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Event loop

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Jan 4 15:44:51 EET 2021

Kieran Kunhya (12021-01-02):
> In my opinion we should use libev as the default and make it a submodule
> (possibly as part of some sort of plugin system for event loops). This
> allows us to use modern things such as io_uring as they come.

I can be on board with that, since I like libev very much, and I find it
matches well the philosophy of FFmpeg's coding practices.

But I am afraid I am not the one who will need convincing on this.

Making sure any event loop can be used with a pluggable system is, IMHO,
an absolute requisite. Based on this, providing a basic event loop,
enough to run most of our protocols, would be compatible with FFmpeg's
habits, and not that much work. And libev can be used if available for
more complex protocols or better performance.

But as I said, I would be fine with libev the main, official event loop
for the project.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George