[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Event loop

Kieran Kunhya kierank at obe.tv
Sat Jan 2 20:41:34 EET 2021

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 at 16:52, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> If we want FFmpeg to have good protocols as well as good codecs, it
> needs to have the infrastructure to make them possible. And for
> protocols, the infrastructure is mostly two things: crypto protocols and
> en event loop.

In my opinion we should use libev as the default and make it a submodule
(possibly as part of some sort of plugin system for event loops). This
allows us to use modern things such as io_uring as they come.

For crypto there is a valid argument to avoid the complexity of OpenSSL
etc, but libev is relatively elegant and clean.

Kieran