[FFmpeg-devel] Interested in contributing to gsoc

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Feb 17 21:14:57 EET 2021

Hello Sanskar

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 06:54:05PM +0530, Sanskar Khandelwal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Sanskar Khandelwal, a 3rd year undergrad student ,I am interested in
> contributing to ffmpeg and also participating in gsoc along with this year.
> I have a few questions if someone can answer them and help me get started
> it'll be nice.
>
> 1. Is this a right platform to ask questions, I saw most of the mail here
> is patch so which is the active platform irc or mailing list to ask project
> and gsoc related questions?

both the ML here and IRC are equally right for project and gsoc related questions

> 2. I think the first step is to choose a project but did not find any
> project list for this year, I don't know where to start so can anyone help
> me like how do I have to set up things in my laptop and suggest any issues
> for beginners so I can start and learn more about ffmpeg in mean time.

If you havnt yet, setup what you need to fetch and build FFmpeg (git, c compiler, ...)
get ffmpeg from git, build it and then do something with it thats interresting
to you. Maybe look at our bug tracker if you can find some bug you want to try
to fix.
Thats a good way for you to find out if you like working on FFmpegs codebase

> 3. When can I expect the idea list for this year, also I looked for this in
> wiki so I am looking in the right place, right?

It should be there: but its ATM listing too few ideas
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/GSoC/2021

you can also look at previous years lists but keep in mind this year google
decided to shorten the time so previous years project ideas might be too
much. Thats also why we are a bit behind with the list we need new or adapted
ideas for this year.

Thanks

If you think the mosad wants you dead since a long time then you are either
wrong or dead since a long time.