[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Suggestion for a Nicer Integration with GitHub

"zhilizhao(赵志立)" quinkblack at foxmail.com
Sat Aug 14 07:34:16 EEST 2021

> On Aug 14, 2021, at 11:27 AM, ffmpegandmahanstreamer at e.email wrote:
>
> August 13, 2021 8:42 PM, "Ronald S. Bultje" <rsbultje at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 4:51 AM Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Paul Buxton (12021-08-12):
>>> From the point of view of someone who is currently developing a filter
>>> for
>>> ffmpeg and will be submitting a patch to the list for the first time, I
>>> think this is a great idea.Whilst following simple instructions to
>>> prepare
>>> and submit a patch should't be outside the ability of anyone who is
>>> capable
>>> of contributing. Using something like github allows a more automated
>>> workflow that can make the process smoother and even make lives easier
>>> for
>>> the maintainers as it is possible for the automations to catch issues
>>> before they get sent on to you.
>>>
>>> Have you wondered why these periodical threads "we/you should make
>>> FFmpeg more attractive" usually end up a discussion between disgruntled
>>> newbies congratulating each other for their great ideas, with only the
>>> occasional bored experienced developer stepping in?
>>
>> Experienced dev speaking here: I absolutely 100% disagree with this
>> statement. I would be much happier to actively contribute to FFmpeg if it
>> used gitlab/hub. I find this mailinglist environment beyond horrendous. I
>> can't understand why anyone would be OK with our current approach. I only
>> grudgingly use it when I need to because I'm assuming I'm the minority and
>> I'm willing to accept the majority consensus, but not because I support it
>> or think it's a good idea.
>
> This reminds me: dav1d, gstreamer, nihav, VLC, x265, rav1e, svt-vp9, etc. and other major
> multimedia projects are now all on Github/Gitlab/some graphical platform. Its' ffmpeg that's mostly
> stuck in the past. Everyone's moving on. To be fair, all the projects (except gstreamer and vlc)
> started off that way, but it shows where the general trend it still.

I’m glad VLC development has transfer from mailing list to self hosted Gitlab, although it’s not
perfect, e.g., gitlab is slow for large patch set.

I have spent a lot of time on finding a email service provider for mailing list based development:

- All patches are treated as spam by 163.com, I can't sent a single email (well, patch doesn’t look
like normal conversation…)
- Email backend developer or client developer don’t know about the use case of mailing list, they
don’t understand my bug report, or don’t care.
- gmail is blocked by GFW, that’s another story…

I’ve helped my friends to setup email for sending patch. It’s like DIY shoes before jogging. DIY is
interesting, but definitely time consuming. Coding is a necessary skill for contributing, debugging
is a necessary skill for contributing, but vim is not, no matter how I like it.

Maybe there are some details which are overlooked on the GitGitGadget solution, but “easy to
contributing and more contributor will lower the patch quality” is not a good reason to reject the
solution.