[FFmpeg-devel] Mailing List Delay

Derek Buitenhuis derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 18:17:53 EEST 2021

On 8/3/2021 11:59 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> somehow this reads a bit offensive to me, iam not sure its meant to

It's not meant as an attack towards you pesonally, but rather to point out
the absurdity of the situation:

* There is no public documentation on:
    * Who owns the physical infra.
    * Where it is located or who hosts it.
    * Who has admin access and how to contact them.
    * Any way to audit admin access.
    * Who to contact in case of issues.

* There is no monitoring of infra at all. Stuff does down for hours and it
  doensn't get fixed until somene figures out who to poke so they can manually
  fix it.

* There is no auto-restat after crashes.

* Nobody is forthcoming with logs to help debug the issue, if there even are
  logs, and if we even know who has access. See point one. We are totally reliant
  on what the admin thinks it may be.

I find the total opaqueness and 0 auditability or accountability to be rather
counter to the ideals of an open source project. For all we know, the mysterious
host is MITMing us, or accessing the machines and doing sketchy things. Do I
/think/ this is happening? No. But there is literally zero insight available.

This also makes reliablity issues extra frustrating. It seems very slapdash for
such a large project, to be honest. I do not mean to invalidate the efforts put
in here to keep stuff running, etc., but there has got to be a better way. VideoLAN
does not have any of these problems, for example.

- Derek