[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Apr 3 11:24:02 EEST 2021

On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 09:39:13AM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2021-04-02 23:28:46)
> >
> > IMO some of this list is quite reasonable like a 1TB NVME, then iam not
> > sure why you need a 2nd one.
>
> This specific part makes a lot of sense to me - you run them in a RAID1
> (mirror) configuration to guard against disk failure, with the secondary
> benefit of higher read performance. I configure my machines that way
> whenever possible.

for a server (which needs 100% uptime) it makes sense. For a desktop system
which one needs backups for anyway iam not sure. A failure of these disks is
not a common occurance
Fact is i never used raid1 on any of my desktop boxes and had i used it the
main benefit probably would have been maybe less stress (which i think would
be a valid justification). But then RAID1 only protects you from some failures

about speed, these things are 7000MB/​s is that a bottleneck ?
iam using the previous generation of these samsung SSDs here and i certainly
would not describe them as slow and needing 2x their bandwidth.
but i have a better suggestion here. If its about speed, buy one, and
if it in actual use is a bottleneck and affects work in a materially relevant
way, request a 2nd one.

All that said, i shouldnt have commented about the SSD, my concern is more
the overall cost. over 6k€ feels rather alot to me. For example my most
expensive box i think was less than half that and my subjective oppinion is
that mine is more than fast enough for my work on FFmpeg.

Thanks

"I am not trying to be anyone's saviour, I'm trying to think about the
 future and not be sad" - Elon Musk