[FFmpeg-devel] WHIP - Webrtc Http Ingest Protocol

Sergio Garcia Murillo sergio.garcia.murillo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:41:47 EEST 2020

El vie., 11 sept. 2020 15:23, Lynne <dev at lynne.ee> escribió:

> On 11/09/2020 14:16, Sergio Garcia Murillo wrote:
> > On 11/09/2020 13:49, Lynne wrote:
> >
> > WebRTC uses rtp muxing to send all data in the same udp port, and lip
> > sync based on rtcp (also muxed on same udp port).  It has been working
> > for years.
>
> Its still a bit of a mess, and it took many years to get to this point.

I wont argue that, but the fact is that it exist and is widely used. Appart
of being the only viable way of playin ultra low delay media on browsers
for now.

And yet its still having to be hacked around to support encryption in
> multi-person calls.

RTP is ultimately a limiting factor here, it wasn't designed to be
> extensible, its just a simple header after all, with a complete pain of
> a timestamp because it wasn't built up for the internet (which hardly
> existed at the time) but for more local transmissions not based on UDP.

And I haven't even said anything about SIP at all.

Not sure why SIP has any role to play here.

Nothing prevents you from having a low, sub-frame latency Matroska
> stream, its just a lot nicer, well defined, future-proofed design rather
> than an amalgamation
>  of multiple existing protocols not designed to work together (or
> arguably at all).

Again, this is not a protocol challenge (by the way there are appropriate
forums for that if you want to prove with facts your comments), just
addressing a problem that exist currently today and lots of services will
benefit from it.

Best regards
Sergio