[FFmpeg-devel] WHIP - Webrtc Http Ingest Protocol

Lynne dev at lynne.ee
Fri Sep 11 16:23:08 EEST 2020

On 11/09/2020 14:16, Sergio Garcia Murillo wrote:
> On 11/09/2020 13:49, Lynne wrote:
>
> WebRTC uses rtp muxing to send all data in the same udp port, and lip
> sync based on rtcp (also muxed on same udp port).  It has been working
> for years.

Its still a bit of a mess, and it took many years to get to this point.
And yet its still having to be hacked around to support encryption in
multi-person calls.
RTP is ultimately a limiting factor here, it wasn't designed to be
extensible, its just a simple header after all, with a complete pain of
a timestamp because it wasn't built up for the internet (which hardly
existed at the time) but for more local transmissions not based on UDP.
And I haven't even said anything about SIP at all.
Nothing prevents you from having a low, sub-frame latency Matroska
stream, its just a lot nicer, well defined, future-proofed design rather
than an amalgamation
 of multiple existing protocols not designed to work together (or
arguably at all).